Friday, May 23, 2014

The evolution of the Blog...

Just thinking about the fact that I have not added any thoughts or experiences to the blog lately.  This blog has changed over the past 3 1/2 years as we have all changed.  The kids are getting older now and I am able to discuss the thoughts I have with them in the present,  rather than [in the past] what would of been a blog entry for them to read in the future.

I have been living "in the moment" with them, myself and Steve so much that I have not spent very much time at my computer.  We have been playing outside, doing activities,  being creative and READING so much.  I am really enjoying reading "Grimm's Fairy Tales" with Luke.  Such great messages in those, despite how surprisingly awkward they can be, especially at the end.  I think that is what I like so much about them... they force you to think about the greater spiritual meaning.  And when I read them to Luke, I am forced to find SOMETHING he can get out of it.  They are not easy stories to understand for a 7 year old, as it is an adult book, but he does enjoy them and applies the lessons to his life as much as a 7 year old can.

The next chapter of our life is Homeschooling.  Something I never planned for but just stumbled into when all of the stars started to align in our life.  For me, learning and reading is fun because I apply it to my life holistically.  There is a reason for everything and finding the connection, whether sooner or later is the best part.  When every piece of knowledge is connected in some way, life is a lot more enjoyable.  I want to teach my children that.  I want them to learn by experiencing and doing and not just taking a textbook's word for it.  I want them to experience the world and see how math, science, nature, history, art, music, God, the environment, their health, their conscience....  how everything is related. I want them to be empowered and self directed to make their own decisions.  Most of all, I want them to experienced life and not just take my word for it.  Living is learning and if it is fun, their are no limits.  If Steve and I can continue to teach them character through Love, patience and example (which is an ongoing practice of spirituality for us), then they will flourish with self realization and live a fulfilling life.

We plan on following the "Waldorf" Curriculum. Which again is something I just stumbled upon and the more I learn about it, the more I see how it aligns with our lives.   It just seems to mesh.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment