Thursday, September 18, 2014

Unschooling

We are now in week 3 of homeschool.  I think that I felt every human emotion the first 2 weeks trying to find my way.  This is something I have been planning and thinking about endlessly the 3 months leading up to it.  Here is what I have learned:

1.I need to trust myself.  Doing something like deciding to take your child's learning into your own hands can be overwhelming.  I am constantly reminding myself that children learn best when they are ready.  I need to stop comparing them to the other kids and what they know. That is an ego based way to live life and I don't want to live in those confines.  Through my actions, the kids will hopefully learn that too. 

2.  I have learned a great deal about myself. I need to be more open to the kids individual interests.  When I started a couple weeks ago, I was following the Waldorf cirriculum to the T.  That did not work for us.  Until I learned to let go of that, we were all unhappy.  I was bossy and felt sad that the kids didn't want to do the fun waldorf things that I wanted to.  So now, I use the stories, the lessons, the basic ideas of waldorf because they are so wonderful and we do it our way.  This week we are all happy!

I am teaching the kids the how to communicate in the world that we live in. I am teaching them to read through their interests... Pokemon games, dog breeds, and games. We read Aesop's fables, Grimm fairy tales and make plays with our favorite toys to act out the parts.  We are Christians but have learned that nature has many of the many answers to our questions too.  I am teaching gratitude by exposing them to the unfortunate circumstances of life, like sick kids at a hospital, YouTube videos of starving children, conjoined twins, etc.  it may be harsh and scary but it gives them and me  a sure dose of gratitude.  I am teaching them to use their creative talents so they can give to others.  I am learning so much about myself through this process.  How I can be better.  How to live in a new paradigm.  It's amazing how much growth can be had when we drop the "rules and construct" that have shaped who we are.  There is so much more out there when we ditch the rigidity of minds. 

Life is good and it is our individual choices that can make a huge difference in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment