Sunday, February 8, 2015

Everything happens for a reason! ~ Cranial Sacral Therapy ~

About one month ago, Steve and I decided to try out Cranial-Sacral therapy for Luke and Sydney.  It is a therapy that has grown out of an osteopathic background.  I have noticed many things pointing me in the direction of it but it wasn't until I ran into Jen's high school friend at Nana Betty's funeral that I decided to give it a try.  I am very open to many therapies and idea's, especially when it comes to neurodevelopment.  Jen's friend Jodi has a medical background and she strongly agreed that it [CST] helped her child with sensory problems and anxiety.  She was a skeptic at first, and so were Steve and I.  I searched for a few weeks to find just the right person but could not find any recommendations.  If someone was going to be messing with rhythmic flow of cerebro-spinal fluid within my childrens' brain and spinal column, I wanted someone I knew was well qualified.   By the grace of God and after much online searching, I came across an occupational therapist that was also a CST (Cranial Sacral Therapist) and who worked with many children like mine who had mysterious neurodevelopment delays, lack of focus, SPD, etc... Having a flexible schedule I was able to get in right away!

Well now here we are just 4 sessions later and I can honestly say that this is working.  We have seen some positive changes in the last month but it wasn't until Steve and I were sitting down this evening that we really noticed that this is indeed making a big difference.  Luke has has tic's for the past year and a half... anything from head nods, hand licking, clapping, throat clearing and the list goes on.  His tics have stopped!  He even told me so the other night...  "Mom, I don't have a 'thing' I do anymore."  We are able to set screen times with Minecraft and I am able to teach him school work without having to deal the crippling defiance I have lived with in the past. The mindful activities help also, but I swear his amygdala (fight or flight response) is changing.  I was able to take my little man to the grocery store and hang out with him instead of him begging me to leave, grabbing for my phone, or being inflexible because things were not on his terms.  Luke has always had such a big heart and so sweet even underneath the tantrums and uncontrollable fits of rage.  His sweet soul is the reason I practice such patience with him.  I know he doesn't want to react that way and feel that way, it is sad, really.  To see this weight of anxiety being lifted off him, is a prayer that could only be answered by God.  This change over the past month has happened so gradually that it has been hard to tell until we actually sat there and reflected upon it.  The power of reflection!  How do we ever see our path and where we are headed if we never take the time to reflect upon the decisions we have made in our life? How do we ever get Godly guidance if we are not open and listening to the precious other Earthly  souls around us?  How can we ever seek peace and happiness if we do not believe in the power of these forces in our lives?  Everything does happen for a reason!

Sydney showed the most noticeable and quickest changes after CST.  I can say that every morning for the past couple weeks has been pleasant for me.  Morning are her neediest and hardest times of the day.  It has always been so hard for me to make Sydney content and feeling good in her skin.  I have tried everything from plopping her down in front of a TV in a dark quiet mood, to massaging her in bed before she gets up, to coddling her and keeping her by me and then the worst.... just leaving her be.  It used to take her 2 hours to function in the morning and lately it has only been taking 5 minutes.  Everything is so much more peaceful!  The biggest change in Sydney is her ability to get dizzy.  Because of her SPD, she was constantly seeking input to feel "normal."  You could spin her and her eyes never got dizzy, she would run off in a straight line seconds after she was spun on Daddy's office chair for 5 minutes or more.  Her OT at Bothell Hand noticed it immediately at her first session after her CST.  The more sessions of CST she has, the more permanent the changes are in her.  We will start spacing out her sessions now  to once every 2 weeks and the therapist said she can tell the "flow" is better.  She doesn't have many areas to work on anymore with Syd.

I am so happy that my kids are happy!  I am blessed to have found Bek, my children's CST.  I am so incredibly thankful to the wonderful neuroscientists who have discovered neuroplasticity.  I have gratitude for the many authors and spiritual leaders who have written such amazing books about mindfulness, brain science and God.  I love the information age and the fact that we have so much information at our fingertips.  We can seek the information we need to improve our lives whether it be through health, meditation, music, disease research, etc.  There has never been a time that we,  at an individual level could make such an impact with education. If we chose to use technology in a positive way, you can really see the good that is was meant to serve!

My Dearest Luke, Ava and Sydney,  The answers are all out there for you.... you just have to be open, have faith in the things our 5 senses can't detect, never stop reading and learning, seek solutions not obstacles, try your best to not to judge,  look for the good in all situations, understand that anger is fear, chose to be conscience, always chose kindness, always forgive and look to good in all people, meditate, reflect, and know that karma will always come back to you.  Intuition is the force of your soul speaking to you.... listen to it and don't dismiss it!   Always reflect and you will begin to connect the dots in your life.  Happiness is  a choice you can make everyday.  You are just 4, 6, and 7 years old now but these are the mantra's that Daddy and I are pouring into your personalities and souls.  We practice these things everyday.... don't ever lose sight of them!  I can't wait to see what mantra's you will add yourselves in the years to come.  You are my precious gifts from God!  Just as I teach you everyday, you three have taught to me through the circumstances of our physical lives,  so many unanswered questions I have always pondered about myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment