Friday, February 7, 2014

Art...

I have been turning to the arts lately in my spare time. Drawing, painting, reading, learning about everything I can, and meditating. It's amazing how using your right side of the brain will give you the wisdom you need to find such great peace in your life. And now my job as a Mommy is to teach my children through my example, to find their talents, their confidence, their peace within. Not to tell them them how to do it, but to be the example that they need to grow, flourish and discover their own uniqueness and beauty within. Such an amazing quote.... "It's not a parents responsibility to have godly children, it's a parents responsibility to make sure their children have godly parents." Proverbs 22:6.

I can really relate to Ava through her artistic ability. She takes out the our carousel of crayons everyday and we have a whole cabinet devoted to art supplies. Personally, I have always love to draw and create beautiful and tangible creations. Art is a gift of patience and it surely takes time (and learning) to develop into the artist that you want to be. I have watched Ava go through some of these stages, but I remind myself of the above and constantly remind her, Luke and Sydney that there is no such thing as making a mistake in art. You can always go back and rework it to make it appear as you would like. It is their "fear" of messing up that keeps them from creating. But I encourage it.... that is all I can do. Pablo Picasso once said "Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up." Coincidentally he is one of my favorite artists. I think what he is referring to in this quote is that when you are an adult, you know what looks real and what doesn't. For some reason, we believe everything needs to look realistic. Not for a child, they just do things without thinking... and when it comes to art, that is a beautiful thing because it is just creating.... making beautiful things.... And who cares if it is right? I have been working on these, "child guided drawings" with Ava and I love them. It is every bit enjoyable for me as it is for her. I call it child guided because I draw whatever she wants me to draw, anywhere on the page. I have this unspoken rule with myself that I just do what she says without arguing why it isn't correct. This makes such beautiful pictures of a child's imagination. And it is truly a gift to have your child be able to envision what they want on paper. I know from trying to encourage Luke that this wildly vivid imagination doesn't always translate to a visualization of how a child wants it to look on paper. This is a gift and I treasure this within Ava and I am excited for the day that Luke (and Sydney) too will find the patience within to sit there with me to create an image on paper of what he see's in his imagination.

Note to self and for my kiddos...

"A bird sitting on a branch is never afraid of the of the branch breaking, because her trust is not on the branch, but on her own wings." Always believe in yourself...


 


No comments:

Post a Comment