Friday, January 2, 2015

Nana's memorial - January 2, 2015



Today would of been my Nana's 96th birthday.  We had a beautiful mass to honor her life at our family parish, Ascension Church in Cheaterfield, Missouri.  If is the church I attended 7th and 8th grade, the place where Steve and I were married, and also the church where we baptized Luke and Ava at. 

Auntie Jen did a great job delivering the readings from the Old Testament and New Testament and my Mom did a great job with her eulogy as well.  I really wanted to write a eulogy as well, because we were so close and I was lucky enough to have had her living at our home growing up.  

Happy birthday Nana, I could feel your presence today as I shared so many wonderful memories of you with everyone  who did not know you on the same level that we were fortunate to.  Your presence gave me the strength I needed to deliver my words.

To my kiddos, how lucky you are that you were able to know your amazing great grandmother for a short time.  I hope you never forget your special memories of her.  The words below are some of my best memories of her....

"Words are so limiting when I stand here today to express who my Nana Betty was to me.  I will try to do my best to explain her beautiful soul. 

Nana was a different kind of grandma. Her love was shown to me through action.  Her homemade soups, her nurturing way,  and her love of god through nature.  Particularly birds and gardening... as I used to see her stare out the window and notice things that only a person who is fully present can. She never rushed through life like a lot of us tend to do.  Nothing was a means to an end.  She was calm, poised and never spoke to soon. 

I remember many Saturday nights listening to her laugh so loudly with tears pouring out of her eyes as she watched the "golden girls" on TV. I loved seeing her so joyful, as she tended to be a more serious and quiet person. 

Nana was wise and independent. I used to love to hear her stories as she lived in such an interesting time of history.  She was born into the world at the beginning of the Great Depression to her Russian parents.  She moved from New York to the other side of the country and lived in Medford, Oregon while my grandfather was fighting in war.  She worked for an Art dealer in her early 20's and was quite the artist herself! I have many of her ceramic pieces adorning my home, especially at Christmas time.  

She had 2 kids, 5 grandchildren, 7 Great grandchildren and was one of those people that mothering came to naturally! Even in her 90's, I saw her getting down on the ground to play with her great grand babies!  When we would come to visit, you could see her light up.  She loved and was so loved by all who were lucky enough to have their lives touched by her. 

Whenever asked her age, she would always respond "I'm over 21."  Maybe she said that because she knew that what is important in life, is ageless.  There were no limits for her and I truly believe that is why she lived such a full and long life! 

Heavens to Betsy, Nana... I will miss being in your physical presence for a while but until then, I will continue to see you showing me your peace through god's grace.

Thank you so much for teaching me through your example... Teaching me about peace, strength, perseverance, and lastly, the wisdom  and insight which all of those gifts bring."


No comments:

Post a Comment