Thursday, July 21, 2016

So proud of my little gymnast!

Ava recently joined the USAG gymnastics team at our local gym.  She did well in try outs and they placed her on the level 2 team.  The girls on her team are anywhere from 6 to 10 years old.  Her friend Pea is doing it with her.  

Ava went from having a 1 hour recreational class to 2 three hour classes per week.  I tried to prepare her mentally for it by telling her that it will be quite different than she is used too and exhausting at first.  It may of helped a little but she had a lot of fear after the first week and was thinking about quitting.  I asked her if she still likes gymnastics and she said she definitely did.  I wanted to make sure she liked it enough before I pushed her to not quit! I never like forcing the kids to do stuff... It's horrible dragging them to be somewhere they don't want to be and also spending money on something they enjoy. 

Long story short.... We just finished her third week and she loves it! She is really starting to gain some confidence and believe in herself. Ava has always been competitive but does not like compete.  She has always been afraid of not being the best so she backs out games and challenges.  I have always modeled that is ok to lose and that in order to be good at something, you absolutely fail many times before you get to your goal. I don't know where her fear of losing came through but it seems deep rooted! Anyway, especially after tonight's practice... I can already see her gaining mental strength and confidence in herself.  Her stamina has improved and of course she is doing great things in gymnastics!  I am so proud of her . and I can't wait to see where she takes this!  


Here she is with Pea before gymnastics today!  We were hanging out at the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment