Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ava's bedtime tonight...

Putting Ava to bed tonight was such a treat for me. Usually Steve and I take turns putting either Luke or Ava to bed so they can each have us alone for some good one on one time. Tonight was my night with Ava (and a quiet Sydney.) The typical routine is that we read books together on her rocker. She hops up in the chair and pats the seat where she wants me to sit. And then we look at picture books, search and finds (which is she is better than me at,) and lift the flap books. Lately, she just rips the pages so I try not to pull those books out to read. After about 20 minutes, we sing. She loves to hear me sing which is so funny because I do not have a good voice.... but she thinks I do! I rock her and sing her tons of lullabies and I watch her eyes get heavy... but it is only for a short moment because she fights actually going to bed. Anyway, after that I put her in the crib and lay all of her 4 blankets on her as she insists that I do and I blow her kisses as I leave the room. Well, tonight was different....as much as I love that routine it was nice to do something different.

Tonight, I just let her play and I sat there and watched her for 40 minutes. She had Baby Stella and her other doll who is yet to be named. It is one of those dolls I never thought I would ever buy for her because she has those scary eyelids that bobble up and down. She saw it in TJMaxx a couple weeks ago and I could not resist buying it for her because I think it is so cute that she loves to be a Mommy. So she was trying to put real diapers on them, one of her size 4 diapers and one of Sydney's newborn diapers. This is the only time I don't get annoyed that she wastes a real wipe. She takes out the wipe and cleans both dolls thoroughly and then she plops the doll on top of the still folded diaper. I ask her if she wants help and she clearly says "NO." I ask again just to make sure and she almost gets mad at me. There is no way she is getting the diaper on by herself but oh well, she is having fun so I let her. Then she decides she wants to read to them. She puts them both on the rocker, on top of the same diapers she was using, which are still not even fastened to them whatsoever. She decides to clean them with the wipes again and then she goes and gets books and starts reading to them. She looks at them after she reads each page and makes sure they sitting up straight and doing ok. Then she decides to clean their private parts again with the same ol' wipe and she reads again and then sings to them. I can only tell it is singing because it is a bunch of moans together in the "Hot Cross Buns" melody. That is an Elmo song we have been singing with different lyrics lately. She could honestly do this all night... change diapers, read, clean them, read, sing, etc. but I tell her is time for bed. I turn on her night light and give her kisses even though she is clearly mad at me for making her go to bed. I know when she wakes up in the morning she will be so happy to see me. I leave the room so honored that my 21 month old is taking such great notes in her head of how to be a loving Mommy. Girls are so much fun!

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of this. I wanted so badly to leave the room and grab my camera but I didn't want to disrupt her because she was so focused and having so much fun. Sometimes special moments like these are better caught by words anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment